In these troubled times, it is very important to be prepared, in case ourselves or anyone in the family gets COVID-19. If we could prepare an emergency kit, it could help in fighting against the infection and help with the safety and wellness.
A typical emergency kit could include :
- Kleenex or Paper Towels
- Face masks and gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- whatever your generic, mucus thinning cough medicine of choice is (check the label and make sure you’re not doubling up on Paracetamol / acetaminophen)
- Acetaminophen, to reduce fever
- Thermometer, any generic brand will do
- Chicken soup, a proven immune buster and cold and flu fighter
- Gatorade to replenish lost electrolytes or your favorite clear fluids to drink
- Avocados that provide healthy fat and nutrients
- Bananas and apples for nutrient-back snacks
- Honey to help soothe a sore throat and lemon as well
- Vicks vaporub for your chest
- a humidifier would be a good thing to buy and use in your room when you go to bed overnight. (You can also just turn the shower on hot and sit in the bathroom breathing in the steam)
- If you have a history of asthma and you have a prescription inhaler, make sure the one you have isn’t expired and refill it/get a new one if necessary
You might also add a month’s supply of essentials such as regular day-to-day medications, children’s pain relievers, pet supplies, etc.
How do you know you have coronavirus?
- Itching in the throat,
- Dry throat,
- Dry cough.
- High temperature
- Shortness of breath
If you notice these symptoms, quickly take warm water with lemon and drink.
What to do if you get COVID-19 virus ?
- For symptom management and a fever over 38°c, take Paracetamol/Tylenol (acetamenophen) rather than Ibuprofen
- Hydrate (drink enough fluids)
- Take a lot of rest. You should not be leaving your house! Even if you are feeling better you may will still be infectious for fourteen days and older people and those with existing health conditions should be avoided
- Wear gloves and a mask to avoid contaminating others in your house
- Isolate in your bedroom if not living alone, ask friends and family to leave supplies outside to avoid contact
- Sanitize your bed linen and clothes frequently by washing and clean your bathroom with recommended sanitizers
- You do not need to go to hospital unless you are having trouble breathing or your fever is very high (over 39°C) and unmanaged with meds. 90% of healthy adult cases thus far have been managed at home with basic rest/hydration/over-the-counter meds.
- If you are worried or in distress or feel your symptoms are getting worse, then call the health care provider / telehealth or go to hospital / emergency room
- Preexisting risks : If you have a pre-existing lung condition (COPD, emphysema, lung cancer) or are on immunosuppressants, now is a great time to talk to your Doctor or specialist about what they would like you to do if you get sick.
- Children : One major relief to you parents is that kids do VERY well with coronavirus— they usually bounce back in a few days (but they will still be infectious), Just use pediatric dosing
- Be calm and prepare rationally and everything will be fine
The pH for corona virus varies from 5.5 to 8.5. Consuming alkaline food such as those listed below, which have a higher pH value than 8.5 would help in defeating the virus :
- Lemon – 9.9pH
- Lime – 8.2pH
- Avocado – 15.6pH
- Garlic – 13.2pH
- Mango – 8.7pH
- Tangerine – 8.5pH
- Pineapple – 12.7pH
- Dandelion – 22.7pH
- Orange – 9.2pH